Image of the Month - September 2019
Guy kindly shared his process for creating this beautiful image of the galaxy M74...
- For the integration and processing I used PixInsight
- I combined the RGB image as usual, except I used the V files to add to the G channel
- I aligned each channel and stacked them
- I then stacked the 3 channels into a single colour image
- Next I cropped the image to remove artifacts present on the edge of the image
- I then used DBE (Dynamic Background Extraction) to remove the background gradient
- Next is colour calibration and then the image is then stretched
- I decided to do a HDR Multiscale Transformation to reveal some of the inner structure that would otherwise be overexposed
- Setting the blackpoint of the image (not too harshly)
- I used a masked saturation boost to enhance the colour
- Finally I removed green from the image as that doesn't really look that natural in this case
- I balanced the colour a little and sharpened the image a little too
This process took Guy around 15-20 minutes.
You can make your own image of the M74 by searching our archive for observations.